What You Will Learn
Get ready for a full-on week of shooting food, learning new skills, eating delicious food, seeing the island and immersing yourself in the tropics! This retreat will offer you tools you can immediately implement in your business or your personal life. This retreat is perfect for you if you're just starting out in food photography or if you're already on your way to becoming a professional photographer.
- Aperture, ISO, shutter speed, DSLR vs. Point and Shoot, Smartphone Cameras, and all the other fundamentals you will need to know as a photographer.
- This class will go over in camera shooting and settings such as RAW vs. JPG, post production topics such as editing RAW files vs. JPEG/PNG, saving as .TIFF vs. .JPG/PNG,
Gear Choices & Equipment Overview
- We will cover all the basics of camera gear including: lenses, lighting setups (soft boxes, strobes, flash, filters), tripods, battery grips, camera bags... you name it we will go over it!
- Learn the fundamentals of shooting in low light, enabling you to explore the style of having dark, rich backgrounds which create dramatic and moody imagery, a highly sought after effect that is popular in food photography today. We will go over how to create this effect with natural and artificial lighting.
- This class will go over finding your voice and creating your distinct style so you can apply it to your online brand. Through the classes, we will go over how to develop your photography portfolio to represent your authentic self and branding style.
Instagram & Branding
- This class will go over the basics of running a successful Instagram account and provide the tools to grow. Posting regularity, hashtags, tagging, shout out competitions, features, brand incorporations, projects, takeovers, strategies for keeping a consistent voice and maintaining consistent visibility.
Food Styling and Plating for Beginners
- This class will go over the basics of food styling and plating to create the most beautiful food that is worthy of photographing and sharing. Tricks and tips, styling techniques, overhead shooting, angular shooting, backgrounds, and props will be discussed as well as hands on styling and shooting
Post Production, Editing & Backing Up
- This is where the real work begins. Learn everything you need to know once the shoot is complete. Learn the basics of Adobe’s Lightroom to make your post production time efficient and get your photos looking their best and learn how to effectively plan your daily and weekly work flow to best grow your brand. We will cover Photoshop vs. Lightroom, hard drives, backing up techniques, and SD Cards
Still Life Workshop
- This class will explore the world of still life photography overviewing ideal lighting, selecting the subjects, building the composition, attention to detail, achieving desired backgrounds, shooting from the ideal angles, and creating an overall mood.
- Daily “homework” assignments using the info and tips we discuss in the day’s lesson.
A critique will happen every other day. This will involve all students coming together to showcase a group of images to be discussed and examined all together and offer constructive advice for improvements. We will also have time for Q&A, and address any issues that came up for people.
Invite Your Friends to Join You for this Retreat!
What to Expect & What's Included
- Headshot Photoshoot. Walk away with a professional headshot that you can use for your biography, website or social media online presence. (Valued at over $300)
- 8 days and 7 nights of accommodation.
- Plant-based, organic food, with an emphasis on local foods as well as a combination of cooked and raw food.
- Airport pick up and drop off on arrival and departure days
- 4 optional morning yoga classes throughout the week.
- A massage therapist will be available for massage at an additional charge.
Pamela Elizabeth (@bigapplevegan)
owner of Blossom Restaurant, Blossom Du Jour, and Urban Vegan Kitchen
‘I would have to say that food styling and photography was not something I thought I would ever feel comfortable with or confident in, but Timothy teaches in such a way where the focus is on encouraging a sense of self expression, simplicity and attention to detail. All of my fears fell away by learning from Timothy, and now I can take a creative, inspiring picture!’
Location of Accommodation
Want to experience true sustainable living? Come stay with us here at Sacred Source Springs where accommodations are offered at our beautiful off-the-grid retreat center in Puna, in the Big Island of Hawaii. This amazing solar powered center is quaintly situated on 10 acres of lush tropical land and forest. We have one accommodation for a couple offered in a private bungalow, and one accommodation offered in the loft of the main space. The bathhouse is shared amongst the private retreat clients and ourselves and includes 2 side-by-side outdoor showers, bathtubs, and 2 bathrooms.
You will have access to amenities including a washing machine, internet connect, and cell reception.
We will be spending the majority of the days shooting food at the "Dawn Farm" located just 1 mile from the sleeping accommodation. There will be shuttles provided to and from accommodations.
About the food
Get ready for an unforgettable food experience! You will have the pleasure of tasting some of the fruit-wonders of the world, grown right here in Hawaii. Live Free Laura D, founder of Happy & Raw and her partner Noah, have started a farm-to-table catering program on their own farm on the Big Island of Hawaii and specialize in providing a high-raw, along with cooked vegan whole-foods, 100% organic menu, with a strong emphasis on fresh, local foods. They offer the freshest possible organic garden greens and vegetables. They source out the finest local fruits and expose guests to the widest range of tropical foods available and in season as well as cater to the health conscious with a gluten-free and dairy-free health-focused menu.
Book Your Accommodation
We priced this retreat to be as affordable and accessible as possible. Secure your spot by booking now. Space is LIMITED!
- Shared Bungalow
with Shared Bath
- Private Bungalow
with Shared Bath
• A $400 non-refundable deposit is required to secure your space •
The remaining balance will be paid in cash or by check upon arrival
Price does not include 4% state of Hawaii sales tax
Get $100 off with Early Bird Discount Until December 1st with Coupon Code Photography