This raw coconut yogurt has to be my new favorite recipe. I can’t believe how easy it is to make raw coconut yogurt. Since my husband and I moved back to the Big Island of Hawaii, we now live in coconut abundance!
If you live in Canada or the US where coconuts don’t grow, you still have access to imported young Thai coconuts to make this raw vegan yogurt.
Raw Coconut Yogurt Recipe
- This recipe is approximately 4 cups of young coconut meat to 1 cup coconut water.
- If you only have 1 or 2 coconuts then open the nuts, pour the water into a container, cut the coconut open, scoop the young meat into the Vitamix blender and then add in just a little bit of water. You want a thick consistency, but you need to be able to get the blender moving.
- Ultimately, you want a super smooth consistency, so you really have to ‘work’ the plunger and help keep things moving at the bottom. This is one of the reasons I like the Vitamix over the Blendtec (although there are a lot of reasons I love the Blendtec) but for this recipe, the extra handle plunger comes in super handy because it really allows you to get the smoothest consistency possible.
- Now you have young coconut meat and a little bit of water in the Vtamix, scoop it out into a glass bowl and hand mix in a capsule of a pro-biotic.
- Once it’s mix in evenly, place a nut milk bag over the glass bowl and wrap a rubber band around it. If you don’t have a nut milk bag or silkscreen you can simply take a light face cloth or a paper towel to help it breathe.
- Place the glass bowl in the dehydrator on low, for only 1 hour. I’ve even placed it on top of the dehydrator before, as I had two full dehydrators running, and there was still enough heat coming off the top that it still did the job.
- After 3 hours taste the coconut yogurt, does it have a little bit of that sour taste like actual dairy yogurt? If it still tastes quite neutral, then let it sit for another 3 hours. You will eventually get that sour yogurt taste, which is what were going for here. It will take varying times based on exposure to heat, room temperature and pro-biotic used.
Coconut Yogurt Fruit Parfait
To make the ‘Parfait’ part of the Coconut Yogurt Fruit Parfait simply take a glass and layer it with whatever fruit, nuts or granola that you like. Making it this morning, we layered it with a raw sprouted buckwheat goji berry granola, mango and banana and it was absolutely delicious. Start with coconut yogurt at the bottom add a nut or granola layer, then another layer of coconut yogurt, then a fruit layer, etc. Super fun and easy to make and it looks and tastes great.
Like all the recipes that I post and make, have fun with it and experiment. If you’re called to try new techniques not stated in the recipe, then go for it! These are only guidelines. Always love to hear new and exciting ways that people make these recipes.
Enjoy your Coconut Yogurt Fruit Parfait!
Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii