This raw chocolate chip cookie dough recipe is finger lickin’ good! Anybody want to admit to buying Pillsbury chocolate chip cookie dough and eating it raw right out of the package? I know I’ve done that a few times in my reckless adolescent days. But funny enough, despite being older, wiser and more health conscious, I’m still eating it raw!
This morning we went to the local farmers market and bought some macadamia nuts. While we were in the kitchen today, in our home in Hawaii, we wanted to come up with a something simple yet tasty and we stumbled upon a recipe that tastes remarkably similar to chocolate chip cookie dough….raw!
Raw Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Recipe
There’s a couple of different ways you can make this, as usual, mostly depending on where you live and what kind of access you have to coconuts. Although these days, young thai coconuts are being sold in asian markets and even groceries in all the major cities. We used a mix of both fresh coconut meat, and also coconut flakes. If you don’t have access to coconut meat, substitute it for another cup of coconut flakes and it will still come out deliciously tasting like raw cookie dough..mmmm. Warning: this recipe is intended for special occasions! It’s not meant to become a daily part of your raw food diet.
- 2 cups macadamia nuts
- 1 T coconut oil
- 2 T honey (can also substitute for raw organic coconut sugar or agave, but I don’t recommend agave)
- Coconut meat from 1 coconut. (If it’s a young coconut and the flesh is softer, can use 2 coconuts)
- 1 cup coconut flakes (2 cups if you don’t have any fresh coconuts)
- 3/4 c of cacao nibs
- 1 t vanilla
- Pinch of salt (Update: I no longer consume salt or add it to my recipes. Want to know why? I’ll give you a hint: it drastically affects your weight. Download my free report on salt)
- If you have fresh coconut meat, then scoop it out and process it in the food processor. The coconut meat we used today was a bit older, firmer and thicker, and it worked great. Process until smooth.
- And in your sweetener and vanilla and process again.
- Add in 2 cups macadamia nut and process, but don’t over process this. Leave a tiny bit of texture, which will also make it a little easier to roll the balls.
- Add in your cacao nibs and pulse a few times.
- Roll into balls of desired size and place them in the fridge for an hour or so for them to firm up a little. Don’t forget to lick the raw chocolate chip cookie dough from your fingers when you’re done!
- If you are only making this with coconut flakes, then add in the mac nuts first, process a little bit and then add in the rest of your ingredients.
Just to give you a couple of ideas in terms of variations. What I had initially done was not add the cacao nibs at all and just took the white dough and rolled it into nibs, as you can see from the pictures.
Another way we did it was not to add any cacao at all, which then doesn’t really make it a chocolate chip cookie dough, but it makes for a little less intense treat (cacao is very stimulating!) We also tried rolling it in coconut flakes to make the dough less sticky which also worked great.
There’s a few ideas to play with. Hope you enjoy the nostalgia of eating raw chocolate chip cookie dough without any guilt! Pure Bliss…
Have a wonderful day, keep shinning bright.
Hope you enjoy your raw food recipes!
Aloha fron the Big Island of Hawaii,