Want creative gluten-free ways to wrap up your meals? This has to be one of my favorite new discoveries in my raw food kitchen – raw, wheat-free + gluten-free plantain tortillas! I really wanted to come up with a recipe for a tortilla that was strong and durable and that taste great, and this is totally it! I use the tortillas in one of my all-time favorite special-occasion raw meals, Raw Mexican Fiesta.
Raw Plantain Tortillas Recipe
Essential Kitchen Equipment
For this recipe, you will need a dehydrator (I recommend the 9-tray excalibur dehydrator) and preferably a food processor. You could get away without a processor, but it would be a lot more time consuming because you would have to mash-up the plantains by hand. A dehydrator and a food processor are two of the top 4 raw food kitchen essentials that I recommend stocking your kitchen with.
- 12-14 small plantains. I’ve been using the shorter plantains that are about 5-6 inches in length, so if you are about to make this recipe with the long plantains, take this into consideration. Also, if you are a little short on plantains, you can always substitute a few for just regular bananas.
Blend plantains in a food processor with 1 cup of water, until smooth. Then add to processor:
- 2 Tbs garlic powder
- 1 Tbs onion powder
- 1 Tbs salt (Update: I no longer eat salt or put it in my recipes. I had no idea how much salt was affecting my weight. Want a free download on salt and how it might be affecting your health? Get it here.)
- 1 Tbs turmeric powder
- 1 Tbs lemon pepper (or just regular pepper)
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- Add in 3/4 cup of ground flax
- Slowly add in another half a cup of water. Watch for consistency, you might not need this water or you might need a little more than this. You’re not really going for a super thick consistency here. It has to have a bit of wateriness to it, as you spread it thin on the teflex sheets. Finding that balance between too thin and too thick will take a little playing around with. I love to keep a recipe note-book and journal how I make things every batch to see how I can improve it the next time.
- Spread a nice thin layer (make sure it’s as even as you can and also no holes) in any shape that you want, you can cover the whole sheet and make tortilla squares or spread into cute circles.
Have fun with this recipe and get creative! Would love to hear how it goes for you! Wrap it up with anything you like, and be sure to try it with the Raw Mexican Fiesta.
Enjoy this fun and delicious raw, living food recipe!
Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii,